It is that time of the year when allergies come into play. Whether you are allergic to dust, pets, mold, pollen or all of the above, it can be hard to know where to begin when keeping your home as allergy free as possible. I did some research online to see what is recommended and here are the top 10 ways to combat allergens and create a cleaner, healthier home for you to enjoy.
1. Stick to a regular cleaning schedule. Keeping dust and pet dander at bay is a continual process, and it's especially important to stay on top of it when allergies are a concern. Be sure to wipe surfaces with a damp rag rather than dry dusting.
2. Start a no-shoes policy and add doormats. Keep dust, pollen and more from entering your house by encouraging visitors to slip off their shoes at the door.
3. Upgrade your vacuum cleaner. Get one with a HEPA filter to trap allergens. Also be sure to choose a vacuum cleaner with a bag that can be changed easily.
4. Swap out heavy drapes. Thick drapes with lots of folds and pleats are masters at trapping dust and other allergens. Instead choose blinds you can wipe down or machine-washable curtains.
5. Remove carpeting. Traditional wall-to-wall carpeting can be difficult to keep clean. Whenever possible, go with hard flooring such as wood, tile, or linoleum instead.
6. Green your cleanup. Harsh chemical cleaners may irritate those with allergies. Luckily, it's fairly easy to find safe and effective natural cleaners with mild or even no scents at all.
7. Streamline kids' spaces. Children's rooms are probably the highest area for accumulate of stuff. But if allergies are a problem, having lots of toys (especially soft toys) everywhere will only make things worse. Try rotating out toys to keep things fresh (and neat), and store extras in an out-of-the-way closet. Washing stuffed animals when possible can also help keep dust at a minimum. Also keeping the area under the bed free of clutter helps to eliminate those dust bunnies and makes it easier to clean.
8. Clean and ventilate the bathroom regularly. Frequent cleaning and plenty of fresh air should keep mildew and mold at bay. But if you do see mold, be sure to use a cleaner that says it kills mold.
9. Replace filters in fans and heating and cooling systems. This is key for keeping the air in your home clean. Each time you change the filter in your bathroom exhaust system or air conditioning or heating system, mark the next change date on the calendar.
10. Setting boundaries: Keep pets out of bedrooms. No matter how adorable your furry friend is, if he's making you wheeze, it's time to set some boundaries. Keeping pets in a protected outdoor area is ideal, but at the bare minimum enforce a no-pets policy in bedrooms.
I hope some of these ideas help you out in your home so that you can enjoy the time you spend in it. If you are looking to clean up in order to sell your property, all of these ideas will assist you in keeping it "show ready" at all times. If you would like to discuss getting your property ready, give me a call & we'll get it ready to sell.